Have you heard the one about the Israeli soldier whose Jewish mother sneaked into his camp every night to accompany her son on guard duty because he was afraid of the dark?
Why Chelm? The name Chelm-on-the-Med© was chosen because in so many ways, Israeli public and private life seem modeled after Chelm – an actual Jewish town in Poland that for generations served as the butt of Yiddish folk humor.
- Silly ministers and parliamentarians
- Quirky rabbis and such
- Weird court cases
- Two-bit crooks and odd capers
- Kafka-like ordinances
- Incredible bureaucratic tangles
- Dumb or kind-hearted cops
- Unforgettable "he and she" sagas
- IDF oddities and quirks
- Only-in-Israel quandaries
- Only-in-Israel solutions
- Countless run-of-the-mill Israelis whose harebrained schemes or bizarre behavior land them in the daily papersIf you want to be notified when new vignettes are published twice a month, go to the Chelm-on-the-Med© website and type in your name and e-mail address at the bottom of the left column. Enjoy!